Posted to alt.home.repair
kevin

Default Burying Above Ground Pool

wrote:
Your pool should get a fence. But first maybe you should do something
about your "more dangerous" stuff.

I should have mentioned our entire property is fenced, so if you can
hope that fence, you can hop the pool fence (they would both be privacy
height.)

That's good. I jumped on you because it didn't seem you had any sort of
fence at all. And I'' assume your fence is continuous all the way
around the perimeter and you have a gate across the driveway(s).
Otherwise I'd still say you need a pool fence with no gaps.

By "more dangerous" I didn't mean to imply I have land mines out here
or whatever,

That's a relief!

but I have traps for gophers out and about,

Are these potentially life threatening or nearly so? Like an old
fashioned bear trap? I don't know what the kinds of traps commonly used
are...

a trampoline,

Not a big deal to me. No one is going to accidentally slip into a
trampoline and drown.

a travel trailer that could be crawled under, pointy sticks, etc.
Most of us have this stuff in our own yards, and frankly, it's possible
for someone to get hurt in almost every yard.

Well, that isn't really the point is it? Yes, I know you are
exaggerating, but still. The point is: have you taken reasonable steps
to ensure that someone does not accidentially get seriously hurt or
killed. Think here of a stranded driver coming on to your property for
help, at night. Or a hiker getting lost at night. Neither would crawl
under your trailer, or jump on your trampoline. But either could easily
miss an un-enclosed pool and drown.

We do have neighbors, but in an area like this (very rural), it's
extremely unlikely someone would get a flat tire, come up to the house
for help, decide to take a dip in the pool, and die.

Unless it were dark, and they didn't notice the pool and they were
distracted by the bear trap on their leg.

It's kind of
ludicrous to say that, but given the odds there, I should also put in a
meteor shelter in case the mailman should get hit by a giant falling
rock.

Except that a judge wouldn't hold you responsible for the meteor. Just
the pool.

-Kevin