Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to cut control joints

Walter R. wrote:
The patio is 11x40'. It has some small cracks in them that have served as
"control joints". To avoid further cracks, I thought it might be wise to cut
a few more control joints where it can break with ease. The whole patio will
be covered with a layer of split paver bricks, laid over heave roofing felt.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
wrote in message
oups.com...

Walter R. wrote:
I need to cut 2 control joints in my 4' concrete patio slab, each 11 feet
long.

Can I do that with my old circular hand saw? Would I use a masonry blade
(the clack stuff) or a do I need a diamond blade (expensive)?

How deep should the control joint be?

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

On small jobs like yours we use a skill saw with a diamond blade.
Typically we go 25% of the thickness of the slab.

What are the dimensions of your patio?

Yes, the patio should have had joints so the patio is sectioned in 5.5'
x 10' sections. For this many joints, rent a walk behind saw at your
local tool rental place. It will be much easier. Or, if savings are a
priority, get a diamond blade and skill saw. It will take a while.
This is why I prefer to install tooled joints while the concrete is
wet, much easier.