Posted to alt.home.repair

Default caulking question

cj wrote:
a neighbor of mine has water leaking into his den during heavy rains and
we were wondering if it would be advisable to caulk the joint that is
between the house and a concrete patio.the joint has the expansion
board? in it and the board edge is about an inch below the patio
surface.also, what would be the best kind of caulk? i was at HD and
there were many types of caulk. should i go with the mortar crack type?
any help/info is appreciated
cj

I imagine the reason the water leaks into the house is beacause the
concrete is poured about his stucco screed. I had a house that did the
exact same thing. The concrete walkway was poured way to high in
comparison to the foundation. I had to rip out the sidewalk, dig down
and pour it a much lower elevation. The concrete should be lower than
the finish floor of the slab.

But, if you just want a 'patch' job, they make caulking for concrete.
Its used on stamped concrete, pool decks, etc. It holds up nicely, but
is not cheap. Check to see if you have a White Cap building supply
store in your area. They sell many concrete caulks in different colors.