Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default Restoring bowl dovetails

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 13:26:28 -0400, Gerald Ross wrote:

I assume these are for grasping a spigot, or tenon. What I am talking
about is jaws that go into a recess with dovetail sides so that it pulls
the piece into the jaws as you tighten them.

When I was using spigot (straight) jaws I rounded oval tenons with a
hole saw. I left the guide drill bit in until the saw got started then
dropped out the drill bit and cut down the length of the spigot. The
original live center hole guided the drill bit for the start. This was
done on a drill press so there was no need to set up a jam chuck or cole
jaws.

No, they're for both... The jaws in the picture have a more pronounced "lip"
than on my Oneway jaws, but same theory.... cut the recess at 90 degrees and
expand into it flush..
From what I've seen in the pictures of the Nova line, they have a pretty
definite angle and require a dovetail..

I actually used to cut a dovetail recess for a while because George and others
recommended it.. only to find out that you don't do that with the Oneway jaws...
lol

I think it was Bill Grumbine's DVD where he mentioned using right angle tenons
and recesses for the oneway that made me realize my mistake...
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis