Posted to alt.home.repair
thetiler

Default Regrouting Bathroom Tile (Simple Question)

Norminn wrote:
Someone on the NG said that grout can be removed with utility knife, but
it didn't work for me. I think I shopped for a saw but couldn't find
one narrow enough?

I don't recommend regrouts because the new grout may not hold
well onto the old grout.
If you're going to do it anyway, use a carbide tipped knife to
cut out the grout, assuming it is the typical narrow joint with
unsanded
grout. These carbide knives have a curved handle and tip and are
sold as a means to cut cementboard. Look among the tile tools at
HD or Lowes, or a tile store will know what it is. It is the best tool
I've ever found to remove unsanded grout in between wall tiles.

Push hard towards the joint, and pull it slow and keep in control.
If you slip, you'll scratch the tile, so keep a firm grip on the tool.

Be sure to cut out all the joints, as deep as you practically can,
to remove the surface soap film. Use an unsanded, polymer
modified grout to regrout.

This information is for homeowners-only wanting to jury rig their
own tile job. It could refurbish a tile wall for a few years, but
isn't
a professional repair IMO.

thetiler