Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Default A/C Replacment or Repair?

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Soudns like the repair option will be the least expensive. I don't
have any data on the efficiency, but I'd guess the cost of the new
equipment will be more than the energy saving.

If you do have a real offer of a 10-seer, it's gonna have to be fast.
Cause I thought the EPA requires minimum of 13 seer for any equipment
made after the first of this year. So, it's not likely to find any 10
seer equipment any more.

There's plenty of 10 SEER stuff around, at least in my town but you're
right, it's disappearing as folks buy it up and the mfg's are done making
it.

I'd look seriously at their offer of $1000 (is this before or after your
deductible?) and upgrade. Your current units are 12 years old so other
things will start breaking as well. Might just be worth it to avoid the
headaches altogether and replace the units.
Cheers,
cc