Posted to alt.home.repair
Moisés Nacio

Default Burying Above Ground Pool

wrote in message
I'm interested in putting in an above ground pool, but to save on the
cost of a large deck around it, I'd like to bury it. Our soil is very
compact, clay like, no rocks at all. I have read you can back fill with
sand and bury up to within 6" of the top of the pool. I understand rust
can be a problem, but would most likely use rubberized water proofing
material on the steel priori to burial.

Can this be done?

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Things to consider.

An above ground pool is a temporary structure for tax purpose. You don't
pay anymore property tax, than if you didn't have it. On an inground pool,
your property taxes will go up since it's permanent. I'm sure there are
some areas in the country, where this may not apply.

A pool inground, will need heated since below ground stays at around 55
degrees. An above ground pool will need heated according to outside air
temperature and location relative to direct sunlight.

As already mentioned by someone, you will need a fence around an inground
pool. I believe just about everywhere in the country, a 4' high above
ground pool, does not need a fence, just a locking ladder or locking access
gate.

Insurance for an above ground pool, is almost always covered by standard
homeowners insurance. Inground pools need a rider policy.

Now onto problems which you would have to deal with.
Above ground pumps are not self-priming, you would have to buy one that is.
The skimmer and return should be above ground.
Of course the rust would be the least of your worries.
Depending on your location, for freeze/thaw, I would be concerned about the
pool pushing inward at the top. This would be the area that you would drain
water below the skimmer, but water will get between ground/pool and do the
damage since this would be the least resistant with no outward pressure.
(don't know if I explained this right, but I gave it my best shot!)

The cost of a deck, is relatively moot, when considering everything else.