Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike

Default Alternate electric ideas

The only gas in my house is the stove and water heater and me. . . . .

I bought a circulating electric spot heater from COSTCO and only use the
baseboard electric heat
on very very cold days. There's a thermosat in each room . I'm on the
utility budget plan @ $89.90 a month. However,
July first the electric rate cap comes off and I'm looking at a 72%
increase. Let me know
if you're interested in the scam of utility deregulation and I'll send you
an enlightening article.

Unfortunately, $200.00 - $300.00 maybe about right in a deregulated (read
scam) market.

Mike

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
1) Cut your electric use

You know, I really have no idea why our electric bill is so high. It's
a relatively new house, well insulated, and although we have some neat
gadgets (hot tub, central heat and air, a few fish tanks, etc), it
feels awfully high.
CY: Yes, it gets you thinking. I've found that any kind of electric
heat is expensive. Such as hot tubs. Also things with compressors tend
to be expensive. I had a big electric bill one month cause I was
running a dehumidifer after I shampood the carpets. Refrigerators and
AC have compressors, too.

2) Ask the power co if they have an off peak meter available

Good idea.
CY: I had an off peak meter one time, when I had electric baseboard
heat. At least part of the day had a cheaper rate.

3) Ask the power guys what that gadget is

Unfortunately, he either doesn't know or isn't willing to give me any
information on it. I tried that at first, but he was more interested
in
trampling all of my not-so-cheap flowers and shrubs to listen.
CY: That's a real shame. Does the gadget have any name plates that
give you a clue?

4) Call some local electricians and ask about backup generators.

Might
be possible to put in a generator that runs off natural gas.

As far as I know, there's no natural gas source in my county; I'm in a
pretty rural area. I've looked in to gas generators, but gas is so
expensive now that the monthly expense would actually exceed my
current
bill.
CY: Gasoline is a bit pricey. I'd guess propane is also pricey. If
you're in a rural area, makes me wonder if a diesel or propane
generator would pay for itself. Since you're not driving it on the
road, a diesel generator oughta be legal to run on home heating oil,
which is much less taxed t han road diesel.

- J