Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Default Electric Hot Water heater starts on Fire ????

wrote:
I'm just posting this out of curiousity. A woman I used to do work
for, for many years just called me to ask me for advice about her
water heater. She lives out of state now, so I can not actually see
the problem. She claims the electric water heater was smoking, and
said that after her husband turned off the breaker it continued to
"burn". Then her husband cut the electric cable to finally make out
the "fire".

He CUT the cable?

Jeeze, I know you said later that he wasn't handy, but it's a good thing
he didn't electrocute himself in the process.

I started to think, "Hasn't he ever heard of a circuit breaker box".

But then I stopped myself when I realized that if I asked SWMBO to go to
our breaker box and flip off the breaker for our electric water heater
I'd undoubtedly receive a blank stare from her. She has myriad other
positive abilities, it's just not something she's had a "need to know".

*********

Poll: How many husband's here are certain their wives could accomplish
the task I just described without having to receive detailed instructions?

*********

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia