Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross

Default Restoring bowl dovetails

mac davis wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 13:20:51 -0400, Gerald Ross wrote:

mac davis wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 08:00:33 -0400, Gerald Ross wrote:

Gerald... I'd rather ask a dumb question that make a dumber mistake, so I'll ask
what kind of chuck you use?

My guess is a Nova?
The Oneway series would require a straight bit, I think?
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

It is a Nova. How would you make a dovetail recess with a straight bit?

That was my point... Oneway uses a straight jaw, Nova a dovetail..

BTW: Please don't feel like I (and the others) are taking pot shots at you..
You opened up a good topic with an idea that you had and we're commenting..
please don't feel flamed or anything..

(picture of jaws on ABPW for clarification)
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

I assume these are for grasping a spigot, or tenon. What I am talking
about is jaws that go into a recess with dovetail sides so that it pulls
the piece into the jaws as you tighten them.

When I was using spigot (straight) jaws I rounded oval tenons with a
hole saw. I left the guide drill bit in until the saw got started then
dropped out the drill bit and cut down the length of the spigot. The
original live center hole guided the drill bit for the start. This was
done on a drill press so there was no need to set up a jam chuck or cole
jaws.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA