Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Jaques

Default Kitchen Plumbing Help (Please!!)

On 17 Jun 2006 21:30:57 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "Shelly"
quickly quoth:

Hello ~

My husband and I are trying to remove a short piece of rusty galvanized
piping (waste pipe) underneath our kitchen sink. We are using a pipe
wrench, but it is not budging! We have tried both WD40 and Vinegar
(this was suggested by our local hardware store).

We have to have the pipe wrench facing down, on the left side of the
pipe, because the dishwasher is to the right. We could use a smaller
pipe wrench on the right side, but we can not get good leverage on it.

Here are some pictures so you can see what we are working with:
http://members.cox.net/shelly1205/Plumbing.html

Can somebody PLEASE help us? We have come so far in our garbage
disposal replacement, and don't want to have to call the plumber now!!

See if your husband has a piece of 2-1/2 to 6" steel pipe about 3'
long. Drill holes in it so a pry bar will fit through one side and the
monkey wrench through the other. Now you have an extension for the
wrench outside the cabinet. One person can hold it steady while the
other twists.

(Pray that your vertical pipe is more solid than the horizontal from
that elbow, though.)

Also, sometimes it works best to try to tighten a fitting before
loosening it. (I found that out in my previous life as an auto
mechanic.) You might be able to get a bit better angle on it to push
up, then switch it around to remove it.

_
| | __
============| | wrench
| |
| |
| | pipe (overhead view)
| |
| |
| |
-

Thank you!

Jewelcome.

--
Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools,
and those who dare not, are slaves. --Lord Byron (1788-1824)