Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy

Default Alternate electric ideas

Jason wrote:
We had a major storm here a few days ago, and as a result someone was
damaged underground. The electric company is suppose to replace it, but
this involves destroying my yard, as well as potentially destroying my
paved driveway and sidewalk, flower beds, etc.

In the meanwhile, they brought out a self-supportive... something... on
a hand truck, that's plugged in to my regular power meter. It's all
encased so that I can't see what it is, but I suspect that it's a deep
cycle battery and some sort of a transformer. This thing has been
powering my house effectively for well over 48 hours.

So I can't help but wonder: if this stand-alone thing would power my
house for 48 hours (including my central heat and air, and my range),
then there must be something I can build myself to do the same thing.
With an electric bill exceeding $200 every month (over $300 during the
winter), I'm willing to consider just about anything!

I looked into solar panels, but from what I read online this can cost
in excess of $10,000. Even that isn't unreasonable; after 4 years, it
has paid for itself. But what other options are there that I'm not
considering?

- Jason

Andy writes:
You have greatly underestimated the price of a solar system that
will meet your needs.

To supply electricity EQUAL to the amount you are using from the
grid ( $200 a month at probably 12 cents per kwh) will require a much
much higher initial cost than the 10,000 you have stated.

Your best bet would be to buy a large generator.

On the other hand, if you cut your power useage down to the
point where a 10K solar system would supply it, you will be amazed
at the decrease in your electric bill.

There is a LOT more to a solar system than just buying some
panels and hooking them up..... Most people who try it become
disillusioned and go back to the grid, if they have the opportunity.
The only real useage for a solar system is when someone has
no choice, such as remote cabins or sailboats......

Andy in Eureka, Texas