Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JimC

Default opinions of Benjamins Best chisels?

jd wrote:
They're listed in rockler's catalogues, and are inexpensive. Anyone have any
experience (or a reason why they cost 1/4 to 1/2 as much as other chisels)?

thanks
-_JKD

I fully concur with the others who have replied to you. I have found
the Benjamin's Best tools to have only one drawback and that is the
length of the handles. I find this a challenge as I enjoy turning
handles and individualising my tools. I find that they sharpen well and
that they hold their edges likewise. I have not bothered to buff them
but a few moments with Miss Baldor wouldn't hurt. If you like keeping
your tools looking their best I would much rarther spend a few
enjoyable moments puttering in my shop than spending money. I think
that their price reduction is due to their minor cosmetics as well as
the fact of the way that they are marketed. I'm not questioning how
it's done just enjoying the fact that I save enough money so that I can
order more chisels and tools that I need. Just enjoy them and have fun!