Posted to alt.home.repair
Ignoramus24108

Default Alternate electric ideas

On 27 Jun 2006 19:27:00 -0700, Jason wrote:
We had a major storm here a few days ago, and as a result someone was
damaged underground. The electric company is suppose to replace it, but
this involves destroying my yard, as well as potentially destroying my
paved driveway and sidewalk, flower beds, etc.

In the meanwhile, they brought out a self-supportive... something... on
a hand truck, that's plugged in to my regular power meter. It's all
encased so that I can't see what it is, but I suspect that it's a deep
cycle battery and some sort of a transformer. This thing has been
powering my house effectively for well over 48 hours.

does it make purring noises like an engine?

or are there electric wires coming into it from a pole?

So I can't help but wonder: if this stand-alone thing would power my
house for 48 hours (including my central heat and air, and my range),
then there must be something I can build myself to do the same thing.
With an electric bill exceeding $200 every month (over $300 during the
winter), I'm willing to consider just about anything!

I looked into solar panels, but from what I read online this can cost
in excess of $10,000. Even that isn't unreasonable; after 4 years, it
has paid for itself. But what other options are there that I'm not
considering?

you know, people were able to live without electricity 100 years ago.

are you serious or are you kidding?