Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Default floor grout -- why did I make such a mess?

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...

Cheri wrote:
wrote in message
.com...
???

When you're done putting the grout down there should be no more than a
thin hazy layer on the tiles. Then you can sort of wet that and work
it with a sponge and it comes off.

You don't seal til the job's all done.

With slate (unlike ceramic) I was told that I needed to seal before and
after grouting because the slate would otherwise absorb grout.

mh

that may be true with slate. I know it's one recommended practice with
saltillo tiles. Where you went wrong was letting the grout "dry" before
cleaning (even if was only 45 mins). My method looks something like this
and I've done more than a few hundred feet of the stuff. I grout using the
float and do my best to minimize the amount of grout actually on the tiles.
For smaller tiles, this can be difficult but on larger ones, you can darn
near keep the tile clear of any grout. I do around 9-12 SF at a time only
cause that's as far as I can reach generally. Once I have them all grouted,
I take a sponge with two buckets. Both start out with clean water. I wet
and wring the sponge out and start cleaning the tiles. I work at the grout
line at a 45 degee angle. When the sponge gets dirty, rinse in bucket
number 2 and then refresh the sponge in bucket number one. Keep at it until
you've got as much of it up as possible. You can really smooth out the
grout lines as well although you don't want to add too much water to them.
Let it dry. Then go back and wash it again as there will undoubtedly be
some haze. For really bad hazing, you may have to use a bit of vinegar to
help with the cleaning (although there are other acids out there to do the
same).
Cheers,
cc