Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

Default Water pooling on concrete steps

"Jim Beaver" wrote in message
m...
My front porch and steps are made of concrete. Water from the lawn
sprinklers pools on one of the steps because the step apparently wasn't
finished quite level. The water pools, then evaporates, then pools again
on the next cycle, etc., etc. It's not deep -- it evaporates within an
hour or so on a warm day. But when it's more or less dry, it's greener
and greener, apparently from algae forming.

Is it possible to "refinish" the top of a concrete step in a manner both
practical and aesthetically pleasing? If it's hundreds of dollars, I'll
live with the "moss." But if there's a cheap and effective remedy, I'd
love to know about it.

Jim Beaver

Take a circular saw and concrete cutting blade and score it with shallow
grooves to a shallow depth, say 1/8" ... just enough for it to drain. You
can do it in straight lines in either direction, or make a pattern. You can
draw them with a pencil or pop them with a chalk line. You can be creative,
just don't cut too many grooves or too deep. Start with a few, and wet the
steps and see if you need to cut more.

Steve