Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E

Default Basement flooding

BTDT two things:

1. Take the carpet up and get it out of the house. If you don't have a
place to
dry it out pretty much immediately (or even if you do, it may be too
late), it
will deteriorate and harbor molds even if it's "indoor/outdoor".

2. I know it's a lot of rain lately, but see if you can address why water
is
getting into your basement. Don't just write it off as an unusual event;
it'll
happen again and your use of the space will be compromised anyway. So,
if the
gutters work and the grading of your lot is correct, you should look into
adding
drainage either exterior or interior.

Banty

The reason for the water, Banty, is that I forgot to clean the gutters this
spring and they
had accumulated a lot of maple seeds. I got it done in the fall but this
one got by me.
I feel pretty stupid about it. I wa considering one of those gutter guard
solutions but the
nationally advertised one priced out that I could pay someone to clean my
gutters twice a
year for the next 30 years. Others just don't look like they would even
work and that's too
expensive to risk a bet. I'll just keep cleaning - if I remember - DOH!!