Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C Replacment or Repair?

Don wrote:
Soliciting some recommendations the following scenario

I have a Lennox A/C unit that was installed in 1994. My local HVAC
technician did a leak test and identified a leak in both the interior evap
coil and the outside condensing coil.

The HVAC company in question has a good reputation locally.

My system is covered by a home warranty company. The home warranty company
has given me three options - 1) they will cover the cost of replacing both
coils. I would only be out of pocket by my home warranty deductible. 2)
should I decide to not pursue the repair option they will credit me $1000
(one thousand) toward a new unit or 3) they will pay for the installation of
a refurbished non-name brand 10 SEER unit.

In all instances, I would continue to be covered by my home warranty
agreement (realizing that the new until would also have some other warranty
coverage.)

I am inclined to purchase the first option (repair). Suggestions would be
appreciated.

How much do you use the AC? Alaska or florida?

whats the SEER of the existing unit? cost of new high seer unit.

I would take the thousand bucks and buy a brand new unit..