Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross

Default Restoring bowl dovetails

mac davis wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 15:13:58 -0400, Gerald Ross wrote:

Some bowls dry with a usable dovetail pretty much intact, some wind up
with an oval hole. I often chuck them in the cole jaws and re-do the
dovetail before finish turning. Recently I made a jig to round up the
dovetail with a router. This requires a 15 degree dovetail bit but has
worked well for me. If anyone is interested I can do the pictures &
description.

Looks like a good idea, if I could find a router under all the bowls and
shavings.. lol

Personally, I'd rather do it on the lathe, feeling that the end really would be
true to the bottom... I'd be sort of afraid that your new or cleaned up recess
might not be the center of a warped bowl any more, and the bowl would really
spin awkwardly..

I find that it's pretty fast using a jam or vacuum chuck and the live center
without the point... holds the bowl and is adjustable for allowance of warp and
lets you do a little truing and cleanup while you're at it.. YMWV
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

My live center is 1 1/2" diameter and most of my dovetail recesses are
about 2". My dovetail scraper is straight and the tailstock is in the
way. Even if I had a 1/4" wide dovetail scraper with a dogleg shaft, I
don't believe I could center it as well as laying a template over the
oval one.

Folks, this is not a new religion I'm preaching, just a report of
something I tried and found it works using what I already had on hand,
other than the router bit. If you have a system that works for you, keep
it. I used to use tenons exclusively, and lost a few bowls that departed
the lathe. I have so far not lost any off a dovetail chuck but it
probably will happen. Repairing an out of round tenon is surely easier
than a dovetail recess so comparing the methods of doing so doesn't
really work.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA