Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
CDET 14

Default Basement dryer venting problem

Wally wrote:
I'm trying to install a basement dryer vent and have a logistical
problem that I'm hoping people could help me with.

The house I purchased has the dryer/washer in the basement laundry
room. The basement is completely below ground level. The previous
owners never vented the dryer outside and now I know why. Instead,
they just vented it into the laundry room and placed a stocking over
the end of the dryer hose to catch the lint.

A slate patio butts up right against the house. I measured exactly
where the vent opening would come outside the house if I were to drill
a 4 inch round hole and it would come out an inch or less above the
slate patio - so this is not a viable solution. I should also mention
that there is a window well on the cinder block wall directly behind
the dryer but I do not want to vent out the window into the well as
this would likely over time fill the well walls (more cinder blocks)
with lint and look pretty crappy.

My other alternative is to run an extended length (maybe 15 feet) of 4"
round dryer vent parallel along the floor/wall past the end of the
patio and then out through the wall where there might be perhaps a foot
of clearance off the ground (still not as much as I would like but
better than no clearance).

Are there any other solutions I might investigate? I can't run a
smaller diameter vent because of back pressure issues and such.

I am looking for any/all suggestions/comments.

Thanks!
Walter

Most municipal codes require that a dryer vent must terminate to the
exterior of the structure. Those who suggest that the extra humidity
is the reason for interior termination do not understand the fire
hazard issues with this.

A 4" rigid metal pipe is also part of the code. The smaller pipes get
clogged more easily and void dryer warranties. Bigger pipes will not
allow enough force to get the lint out. The 12" clearance off the
ground is also minimum code.

If you use mesh or screen to keep critters out, moniter it for lint
build-up.

Alisa LeSueur
Certified Dryer Exhaust Technician
http://CleanYourOwnDryerVent.com/