Posted to alt.home.repair,atl.general
Tony Hwang

Default Replacing thermostat didn't work--now what?

mm wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 00:59:35 GMT, CJT wrote:

Tony Hwang wrote:

CJT wrote:

The Sanity Inspector wrote:

A lightning strike last night blew out a transformer in our
area. We didn't lose our power, but we must have gotten some kind of
surge damage. I have a gas furnace and an a/c. The fan will not turn
off now, even when I set the fan to "auto" and the thermostat to
"off". I replaced the thermostat, thinking it had gotten fried, but I
still have the same problem. Plus, the furnace is getting very hot to
the touch, even though the chiller is working and cool air is coming
out of the vents. What else could be the matter? Thanks.

--
bruce
The dignified don't even enter in the game.

http://tinyurl.com/4sarw |
http://www.cafepress.com/notdifficult
http://postingwillbelight.blogspot.com
http://atlantarofters.blogspot.com
http://is-3.blogspot.com

It sounds like a fried furnace control to me. Probably the furnace
and AC are both running at the same time. I'd start by shutting off
the gas to the furnace.

Hi,
Actually, by shutting off the circuit breaker and turning it back on
will reset(master clear)the logic board. Then most likely it'll flash
trouble code if there is something wrong. OP did not mention the model
of his system.

I suppose that's true, if it has a "logic board" with trouble codes.
In my furnace/AC, the control system is a couple of relays,
spaghetti-wired.

Regardless, I think you are right about shutting off the gas, because
if the control sytem is fried, do you think we can count on it to turn
off the furnace or the gas when it should?

It's not cold out. He can wait a while to turn the gas back on, if
everything else is working.

Hi,
For ultimate safety, yes. But this logic board is not that dumb. The
logic has a fail-safe feature. Micro processor is programmed that way.