Posted to alt.home.repair
Stubby

Default Regrouting Bathroom Tile (Simple Question)

Norminn wrote:
Local Account wrote:

4 by 4 ceraminc tiles surround my bathroom tub
White non-sanded grout, 1/16th inch joints

I intend to regrout the whole thing rather than just the bad spot. Most
Most of the old grout is in good shape, albeit no longer bright white.

I've completely removed the old grout in a bad spot or two. As for the
rest... I was wondering if I can get away with lightly indenting the old
grout with a grout saw as opposed to trying to remove as much of it as
possible? This would make my life much easier.

The instructions I followed advised removing to at least ? 1/16" depth.
Do it right. I used the Dremel tool and attachments. The hard part
was smooshing in the new grout - could have used some "muscle" ) The
new grout can't "grab" when it is too shallow.

I like the epoxy grout available at tile stores. It's expensive and
hard to apply, but it will not mildew. Do one wall at a time because it
sets quickly.