Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
william kossack

Default Restoring bowl dovetails

I use this approach also. Its fast and simple

Bill Rubenstein wrote:
On every bowl I do. The only difference is that I use a tenon instead
of a dovetail -- much more secure in my opinion. If I used a dovetail
I'd need a small tool to get in given the interference of the tailstock.
This is another justification for using a tenon instead of a dovetail.
It would make no difference in the finished product because I'd get rid
of either.

Bill

Gerald Ross wrote:

Bill Rubenstein wrote:

It seems to me that the lathe is the right tool to true up the
dovetail -- not a router.

Make a small jam chuck -- maybe 3 or so inches in diameter. Your
blank should also have the hole caused by your tail center visible;
that will make centering it easier but is not completely necessary.

Mount it between the jam chuck and the tail stock, top of the bowl to
the headstock side and then cleaning up the dovetail is a piece of
cake. If it is small then you might need to make a small special
cutter to get to it but I'd say this is the way to go.

Bill

Have you ever actually done this?