Mark

Default Seeking source for torque wrench extensions

djl wrote:
Mark -

Whoa - the personal dig is uncalled for. That aside - the inquiry is
legit.

Given that Proto, Norbar, Sturtevant-Richemont, and Mountz - all of
which are highly respected manufacturers of torque equipment -
document procedures and calculation formulas for using such
extensions, it is only reasonable that this general approach is valid.
This is not just a hack - see some links below. The principles
involved, the limitations (sources of error) and, most importantly,
the needs of this particular application are understood, including
those of cost. This *is* good engineering practice.

So - I'm just looking for a source. Get it?

I knew what you were getting at before you asked the question.

I have more than a passing familiarity with the use of fixtures and
extensions on torque wrenches.

Extensions are only used to gain access to fasteners that are otherwise
inaccessible. Period.

The use of an extension may be mathematically sound and 'good
engineering practice'. That's why it's usually a good thing to keep many
engineers away from the work. Keeps them from doing too much damage.

It is an unacceptable practice, or at least extremely poor form for a
technician to use an extension solely to increase the range of the
torque wrench. We know better.

And the fact your having such a difficult time finding what your looking
for should give you a clue.

Get it?

Suck it up. Buy the correct tooling.

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)