Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross

Default Restoring bowl dovetails

Bill Rubenstein wrote:
It seems to me that the lathe is the right tool to true up the dovetail
-- not a router.

Make a small jam chuck -- maybe 3 or so inches in diameter. Your blank
should also have the hole caused by your tail center visible; that will
make centering it easier but is not completely necessary.

Mount it between the jam chuck and the tail stock, top of the bowl to
the headstock side and then cleaning up the dovetail is a piece of cake.
If it is small then you might need to make a small special cutter to
get to it but I'd say this is the way to go.

Bill

Have you ever actually done this?

--
Gerald Ross