Gunner

Default WMDs

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 01:13:03 GMT, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 09:14:02 -0800, "SteveB"
brought forth from the murky depths:

Until 9/11, no one considered an airliner as a WMD.

Ditto a batch of fertilizer and can of diesel fuel until OK City.
To me, WMDs are anything which will kill many people at once.
And there isn't a GDMF thing our country can do about that to
make us all truly safe from any of that. Not in a free society.
Any sick person could do that: anywhere and at any time. Look
at the snipings lately. And look how our wonderful legal system
is handling the pair they caught. Multiple trials, one in each
involved state? Give me an effin' break.

That's what scares me more than terrorists do. Our gov't doing
all these silly, wastefully-expensive-yet-perfectly-useless,
rights-raping things and then trying to tell us that it will
"Make us safe."

And its all the morons clambering for the Government to Make them
safe, and wailing when it cant be done. They want a Nanny State..but
if you remove the rights to make it possible...Nanny becomes an Evil
Witch.

"Thomas Jefferson once said, :Those who would trade safety for freedom
deserve neither.” The implication being that those who trade their
freedom in order to be safe also trade away the only defense they have
against those that provide that safety. It is a fact that black slaves
in the south were almost never murdered. They were far safer than free
whites in that regard. All they had to trade for that safety was their
dignity and freedom. It is a paradox our founding fathers were keenly
aware of. Trusting in the magnanimity of a government which wields
absolute power was something they were not willing to do."

Its also been said..that the Constitution isn't a suicide pact.

Striking a fine balance between the two..is the hard part.

Gunner

"Guns aren't toys. They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or
delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face."

-- Krusty the Clown, "The Simpsons"