Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones

Default If a basement is sealed can it still test + for radon?

wrote:

We've been discussing NON-smokers, who are about twice as likely to die
of lung cancer than in an auto accident, with odds of 139:1 vs 228:1,
in a house with a radon mitigation system that maintains the indoor
level at the EPA-recommended max pCi/l limit.

Based on death statistics and Drew's description of how the 4 pCi/l limit
was picked, it seems to me that homeowners should try harder to achieve
lower radon concentrations, in order to reduce this serious risk.

It's not a "serious risk".

Results from Radon tests performed in the basement are not indicative
of Radon levels in the rest of the house.

Unless you live in the basement, and plan to stay in the house for 30
years, find something else to worry about.