Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Tried to replace Thermostat, now A/C nor Heat works (or fan)

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 01:09:08 GMT, CJT wrote:

Ryan wrote:

The picture looked like a garden variety fuse. If you take the old
one with you to an auto supply house (or Radio Shack), I bet they can
get you going.

This picture?

http://host1.publiquik.com/bussmann_..._GMQ_photo.jpg

It sure does, except for that purple KNOB that doesn't come off the
end. I've gone to lowes before they closed and got some 250W 4amp
fuses.. they're a HAIR shorter than this GMQ fuse and don't have the
knob (or the little tangs on the knob end to 'lock' it into the BUSS
holder on this unit..

Here it is in the grianger catalog.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...mId=1611597415

Thanks

I guess I've just learned something. :-)

I've never seen one with an integral "knob" before. I guess that's a
ploy for them to make additional $$$.

Me neither. It's outrageous. 4.30 instead of 30 or 40 cents.
There's probably a way to take apart the bad one and use a regular
glass or ceramic fuse. I'm sure they tried to make that hard, but...

This is why I save things like the caps from fuse holders when I throw
something away.

To answer a later post, it's not that there are more places for fuses.
It's that if the fuse blew, there was likely a reason that it did.
Before one blows too many fuses, it's probably better to open the case
and solder in a tradional fuse holder that takes cheap fuses. It can
use it's wires to go outside of the case. I also collect circuit
breakers from tv's that used to use them, and they sell them now too,
for when fixing blows the circuit over and over again.