Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar

Default HP DeskJet 500

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 12:38:28 -0500, "Wayne Tiffany"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Our church has one of these printers that has worked well for a long time.
It now doesn't.

Upon turning on the power, it appears to go through the power up testing,
but then when trying to move the head, it powers down. I have checked and
watched the power supply and I suspect that it's being told to turn off. I
checked ESR on all the electrolytics, and all appear to be fine. I can move
the head to the middle, and upon powering up, it will take it home, but then
shut down once it gets there. I measured about 5v across the head motor, so
I pulled it out and put 5v to it. It does run, but not very smoothly, and
sometimes doesn't want to start very well. I don't know if this motor has
brushes or not, but it feels like maybe the motor is struggling, thereby
shutting down the power supply. If I unhook that motor plug, upon power up,
the printer flashes an error.

I may have a spare motor for this model. If so, then you can have it
for the cost of postage from Australia. What is its part number?

Any more thoughts here? Maybe something I missed?

WT

I believe there may be an encoder strip which may need cleaning.

- Franc Zabkar