Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

Default Adjustable length rail to help old folks climb out of bath?

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 20:44:58 +0100, Bill Haines
had this to say:

Can anyone please tell me of suppliers who sell the simple, unheated
type of chrome towel rail? I want to put one on the wall over the
bath, to provide something solid for my Dad to hang on to when he's
getting in and out of the bath. I'll need to screw it firmly to the
studs in the partition wall, hence the need for adjustable rail
length.

If you get a rail longer than 16" or whatever the stud spacing is, you
could mount it at an angle, which may also help Dad to manage the
bath.

B&Q have a range of suitable rails. A simple towel rail is unlikely to
have sufficient strength to support an adult getting out of a bath. A
proper grab rail will have a textured finish too, which makes it
easier to "hold on".

Of course, some baths have a built-in grab rail, if you don't mind a
bit more effort and expense :-)

--
Frank Erskine