Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross

Default Restoring bowl dovetails

George wrote:
"Gerald Ross" wrote in message

procedure. Sand bottom of bowl flat and top fairly flat on 4" belt sander.
Invert bowl on base of jig, center masonite guide on dovetail recess of
bowl and hold with rubber bands on corners. Adjust depth of bit to touch
bottom of dovetail recess and route slowly letting guide bushing guide the
router. A soft start router and slowest speed is the way to go. I stop
frequently and blow the dust out so it won't interfere with the guide
bushing.

Seems you could use a bottoming bit, the same jig and bushing for level
rather than fussing with sanding? Then go two steps up in the bushing and
work your dovetail. With the longer shanks on 1/2" bits, you could easily
go to 1/2 stock and avoid the flex.

I'd wedge for level and tack with hot glue for down below.

You lost me. How can I level the bottom if the jig is resting on it? The
dovetail bit does cut on the bottom, and levels the bottom of the
recess. On the bowls I've done with it, it takes about 2 seconds to
knock the bottom flat on the sander. It does not seem necessary to level
the top of the bowl.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA