John Dammeyer

Default Gingery Lathe Bed alternative.

Hi Jim,

I didn't mean that the single set of ways was the reason for the
jamming. Sorry if I sounded like I did. The carriage on the Gingery
Lathe is essentially sitting with a square foot print on the ways.

IMHO if the width was wider than the depth the twist and jamming
effect wouldn't be as noticable. But I might be wrong there.

But it's easy to see how the lead screw position isn't right. Just
push on the carriage (or tailstock) at the point where the leadscrew
is and you can jam it fairly easily. Push in line with the center of
the top front pad and it immediately unsticks and won't jam if
everything is set up well.

John
Funny, I've re-built a number of those AA machines
for kicks, and I've always been a bit dismayed at how
much effort has to be spent getting the carriage to run
freely but without too much slop - and never quite
connected the single set of ways to that problem.

Jim