Posted to sci.electronics.repair
M Berger

Default fusible resistor substitute

This might be a liability issue for a commercial servicer.

wrote:
Lenny:
If it were me and I was able to pinpoint the exact fault that caused
the 7 watt resistor (like a shorted semiconductor or capacitor,etc.) to
burn out I would without hesistation use a 10 watt replacement (forget
the fuse substitute) and let the set run for an hour or so and test for
overheated components and excessive current through the resistor.
Usually this type and value of low ohm resistor is used for current
limiting and/or inrush current control and in light of another drastic
fault condition, the 10 watt resistor would perform it's task and open
up just as the original value did.
electricitym