Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross

Default Restoring bowl dovetails

Here it is.

Making the jig. Two pieces of 1/4 masonite 1 ft square. Base of scrap
3/4 wood 1 ft. square. Drilled 1/4" pilot hole in center of both pieces
of masonite. Cut 1 1/4" hole in one with hole saw, 5" in second piece
with fly cutter on drill press. Glued pieces of masonite together. Cut
corners in top & bottom pieces to hold rubber bands. The bottom piece of
masonite is just a stiffener and the 5" hole gives clearance for bowl
bottom.

Used 15 deg. dovetail bit in router with a 5/8 guide bushing.

procedure. Sand bottom of bowl flat and top fairly flat on 4" belt
sander. Invert bowl on base of jig, center masonite guide on dovetail
recess of bowl and hold with rubber bands on corners. Adjust depth of
bit to touch bottom of dovetail recess and route slowly letting guide
bushing guide the router. A soft start router and slowest speed is the
way to go. I stop frequently and blow the dust out so it won't interfere
with the guide bushing.

Pictures in ABPW. This is only a prototype to see if it was feasible. It
has worked well for me for the few weeks I have used it. The masonite is
a little flexible and a better clamping method would probably help.

I like George's method of leaving the center pillar, but I have a pile
of drying bowls that do not have it so for those that warp, it is this
or the cole jaws and they do not work so well if the rim is also warped.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A diplomat thinks twice before saying