Posted to rec.woodworking
jd

Default Is my swing set gonna be safe, now I'm doubting myself?

I think the only real concern would be the lateral forces on the dsingle
upright leg when big folks are swinging in synch.. I'd get a couple of
adults (one for each swing you have), and get them all swinging together (in
phase). Have someone stand by the side, and see how much the leg deflects.

Make your decision based on that.

empiracle evidence is always best....

-_JD

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've in the middle of building a play/swingset for my kids, and now I'm
second guessing the safety of my design. Since I don't have a huge
amount of space I modified a typical design I've seen around the
internet. First, I secured four 4x4's in the ground w/ cement to make
a 5'x5' "fort/platform" 5' off the ground. I have a 6"x6"x12' that I
plan to use for the swing beam off one side of the fort (I think a 6x6
should be okay for a 12' span from what I've read, if not correct me
here too please). I plan on bolting a 4x6 across 2 of the 4x4's to
support the swing beam. This next part is where I'm starting to worry
that I made a bad choice. Since I didn't want to take up a large
amount of space w/ the traditional A-frame, I put a 6"x6"x12' four feet
into the ground, secured w/ about 300lbs of cement. This gives me my
8' swing beam, which is what I wanted. So my question is, will the
6"x6"x12' that I will use instead of the traditional A-frame be strong
enough at the base to support the swinging? If not I guess I could add
some 4x4 supports, but that brings up the next question of how high and
what angle would I need to put them?

Thanks in advance for your input.