Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Beaver

Default Weird electrical situation in home

Tonight, my microwave oven began operating at extremely low power even
though it was set to high. Then the power disappeared from it entirely. A
little later, the overhead lights in my bedroom began to dim and then go out
while I was watching television. The television stayed on normally. My
computer was on, normally. Then none of the lights in the house would come
on, but electrical outlets all worked fine (except, apparently, for the one
the microwave was plugged into). The air conditioner no longer blew cool
air, though the fan continued to operate. I checked the breakers. All were
solidly in the on position. I turned off my computer and TV. I turned off
each individual breaker until all were solidly off. Then I turned off the
main breaker. Then I turned each individual breaker back on. Then I turned
the main back on. Now the lights in one room came on full when I turned
their switch. The microwave clock lit up. But then after a few moments, it
dimmed out again. Lights in all other rooms came on, but very, very dimly
and grew dimmer until they went back out. The TV, computer, stereo, wall
sockets as mentioned all still work fine.

What the heck? I've called the electric company and all they said was that
someone would be out eventually. But till then: what the heck? I had a
fair grounding (no pun) in electricity and electronics years and years ago,
though I have no expertise. But the little experience I have doesn't give
me much of an explanation of how this could be happening.

BTW, all the houses in the neighborhood have normal power.

Jim Beaver