Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

Default 13" cast iron Delta planer?

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 22:43:48 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

There is an ad in the paper for a 13" cast iron delta planer.
I guess that is from before my time, as I haven't seen anything like that.

Assuming it is in good condition, is it superior to a lunchbox planer? My
12" Makita works okay, but it just feels so tinny; would this Delta be an
upgrade? I don't have room or budget for a 15".

I have an RC-33 about 11 years old

Advantages:
- Heavy, all parts are heavy duty, will outlast most of us
- Much quieter than a lunchbox planer
- You have to really work to make it snipe

Disadvantages:
- Heavy -- get a good roller stand for it
- Leaks oil [at least mine does, despite numerous attempts to get it
sealed and has done so since almost day 1]

For $250, if it's in good shape, I don't see how you can go wrong.