Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
LRod

Default how to align a craftsman mono tube lathe

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 02:47:17 GMT, "Ken Moon"
wrote:

"LRod" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 03:08:08 GMT, Lobby Dosser
wrote:

SNIP
Look for a double ended morse taper. One end in the headstock, everything
loose, bring up the tailstock, seat the other end of the MT in the
tailstock and tighten both headstock and tailstock to the tube. This
presumes you have matching MT on both ends. I think Woodcraft used to sell
these.

And Craftsmans use a #1 MT, instead of the #2 that seems to be
standard on almost anything else. What a surprise.

--
LRod

============
Small lathes with 3/4-16 spindles have to use the MT1 because the spindle is
too small for the MT2. That's why there are 3 common Morse Tapers.

Okay. Let's put it this way, then: Craftsmans use a 3/4" spindle
instead of the 1' or 1 1/8" that seems to be standard on almost
anything else. What a surprise.

Even the mini lathes use a 1" spindle.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.