Posted to alt.home.repair
Ryan

Default Tried to replace Thermostat, now A/C nor Heat works (or fan)

Guess your screwed then until the ac guy gets there. I went back and
read your original post. The shorted fuse is being caused by the wires
you taped together, also, the other problem is that you don't have
your aux heat wired into the stat if you have brown and black not
connected to anything. One of the wires, either black or brown, is for
the second stage heat, the other is for aux heat. The blue wire is the
common.

I didn't tape them together, I just taped over the exposed wire so
they'd do nothing. But even then it sounds like I needed the other 3
hooked up huh?

Dangit!

Well the stock t-stat is back on, wired up with all 8 wires. I guess
I'll have to cope until I can get a new fuse or the mgmt company can
come out.