Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross

Default how to align a craftsman mono tube lathe

bernie feinerman wrote:
The tailstock and headstock of my old Craftsman single 2" monotube lathe no
longer meet. The error seems

to be 3/16" or more.

How can I get them to match again?

bernie feinerman

Does the tailstock rock back front to back ON THE TUBE? If so, there is
a set screw on the back to tighten it up against the alignment rail on
the bottom of the tube, assuming the rail is tight against the tube. You
want the tailstock set screw just loose enough to slide, but tight
enough to keep it from moving front to back.

If it does not, then loosen the end bolt on the right tube base and see
if the tailstock AND tube will move back and forth in relation to the
headstock. If not, loosen the setscrew in the back of the headstock and
align using the tips of the drive spur and the spur on the tailstock.
Then tighten the setscrew.

Mine is an old Harbor Freight clone but is probably identical. The
setscrew is in a hole in back of the headstock toward the motor. It uses
a 5 mm allen wrench (YMMV). You may have to blow the crud out of the
hole with an air gun. Once everything is in alignment and the setscrew
tight, tighten the bolt on the end of the tube last, making sure the
guide rail on the bottom of the two tube sections are aligned.

I no longer use mine other than as a polishing wheel, but I have seen
the guide rail loosen on the tube, the two tube sections loosen from
each other, and the tailstock loosen on the guide rail.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A day without radiation is a day