jim rozen

Default Gingery Lathe Bed alternative.

In article , John Dammeyer says...

Hi Jim,

Yes, Because the Gingery uses the flat CRS bedway, there is no
simple solution without restricting carriage travel. Commercial
Lathes tend to have a second set of ways that hold the headstock and
the tailstock. The carriage can then have extensions on either side
that in effect make it wider which reduces the twisting action to some
extent.

Oh, that's right. The AA products lathes all have
a single pair of V-ways. The tailstock and carriage
both ride on the same one - which makes the problem
worse, of course.

Funny, I've re-built a number of those AA machines
for kicks, and I've always been a bit dismayed at how
much effort has to be spent getting the carriage to run
freely but without too much slop - and never quite
connected the single set of ways to that problem.

Jim

please reply to: