Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Puckdropper

Default how do I solder a power switch to a mobile board

Lionel wrote in
:

On 19 Jun 2006 22:35:57 -0700, "interuser"
opined:

Lionel wrote:
*Quickly* (1-2 seconds) tinning the switch legs & the PCB pads will
make the above quicker & easier. Let both parts cool for a short time
(30 seconds) before soldering them to each other.

[...]
I am not expert on using the soldering iron and I am afraid I may
damage the circuit.

That's a legitimate fear - it's very easy to damage a PCB if you're
inexperienced. My advice is to practice. If you can spare the
time/cash, go to a hobby electronics shop (Tandy/Radioshack, etc) &
buy a tiny piece of strip board or other prototyping PCB & practice
soldering small pieces of wire to the strips.

Got any dead electronics? Practice on those. My advice is to try one of
the tasks I found hard: desoldering with a solder sucker bulb (Radio
shack, ~$5 US). If the joint isn't hot enough you won't get all the
solder. Too hot and you'll melt the board.

One more tip: Keep the tip clean. You can use a damp sponge or folded
paper towel to wipe off any collected gunk without unplugging the iron.

Puckdropper