Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman

Default how to align a craftsman mono tube lathe

"bernie feinerman" wrote: (clip) I did not find any setscrews holding
anything (other than the belt guard) at the headstock end of my lathe.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Let's take this a step at a time. It's a mono-tube lathe, which means that
the lathe bed is a a tube inserted into a hole in the headstock, about 6"
below the spindle. Look for what holds the tube in the hole--either set
screws or hex head bolts or something. Whatever it is, has allowed the tube
to rotate, which permits the tailstock to move through a little arc.

You don't need any special alignment device. Put a live center in the
tailstock, and a spur drive in the spindle. Bring these together so they
just kiss. If they don't meet, as you say, then using the tailstock as a
crank/lever, rotate the monotube until they do. Now search for those
locking screws, and tighten them REALLY TIGHT.

If you con't find them, I'll drag my old lathe out of storage and take a
picture, which I can e-mail you.