Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Barss

Default Buffing Polyurethane

Jock wrote:
: hey,
: I am doing a shelf in Cypress Pine, I want a nice (really) nice smooth
: finish. With a lambswool pad on the random orbital sander, do I need
: anything as a buffing agent?? I have never gone for this level of finish
: before and would appreciate a word on the best ay to achieve something other
: than disaster.

The don't use polyurethane -- it's not very good for buffing
(it's tough, but not hard enough to buff well -- think rubber tire).

Both lacquer and shellac can be taken to a high polish -- using either
pumice and rottenstone, or a series of automotive polishing compounds.

You could also use an oil finish, let it cure, the use the Beall
buffing system.

-- Andy Barss