Posted to misc.consumers.house
Andrew Koenig

Default Use credit card check for house down payment - good idea?

wrote in message
ups.com...

We're buying a home for about $140K. We are able to put 20% down so we
won't have to pay PMI, but I'd like to drop my monthy payment even
further. We have zero credit card debt now, and an excellent credit
score. We were thinking about borrowing enough on one of the credit
cards to put down $10K more on the house, and purchase 2 discount
points.

I don't know if this is the same everywhere, but when we bought our house,
one of the forms we had to fill out was a sworn affidavit that the money we
were using for the down payment was our own, and was "not borrowed in any
way."

Even if your house doesn't come with such a form, I would think that what
you're proposing to do is to borrow money at high interest in order to
reduce the amount of money you need to borrow at lower interest. Sounds
like a mistake to me.