Posted to alt.home.repair
46erjoe

Default If a basement is sealed can it still test + for radon?

The installers sealed the sump pump well with urethane foam.

What I hear you folks saying is that yes, radon can pass through walls
and floors... bend steel with his bare hands, and who ...

Radon evacuation systems suck!

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 09:11:57 -0600, "Jay Stootzmann"
wrotF:

If you have a sump pump the radon can leach in via the sump pump pit.

Sealing the cracks can help but it probably wont get you as low as the 24/7
fan you have now.

"46erjoe" wrote in message
.. .
Just bought our home 4 months ago. It tested positive for radon (but
just barely). The seller agreed to install an active radon reducer
fan-type. It runs all the time, sucking air from under the basement
slab. After recent testing, the radon leven was very very low.

I see is that there are many large cracks in the floor. Around the
outside edge runs a gap at least a quarter inch. Then there are
several shrinkage cracks also very large.

If I were to seal every one of these cracks with urethane calk and
thus make the basement airtight, would the radon problem go away?

Or can radon leach through concrete block and floors? I sure would
like to shut off that noisy 24-7 fan and convert it to a basement
bathroom vent to the outside.