Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric in North TX

Default Riding Mower Engine

News Groups wrote:
I have been having problems with my Craftsman riding mower leaking oil. I
took it to a local repair shop and they were giving me ball park prices
depending on what they find. One thing they mentioned is that if the blocked
is cracked its time to hang it up and replace the engine. Is this true? Cant
a cracked block be repaired?
Thanks
John

Depending on the engine, a likely source is the oil filler pipe, it
fits into the oil pan with an o-ring usually low enough to allow some
to escape when the o-ring gets tired. Easy enough to fix. The first
thing I would do is degrease the engine so you can see where it is
coming from.