Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

Default TV shows stripes/lines at the top of the screen

"Dave D" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

It is true that I do not know how many fields you are trained and skilled
in, but by your own admission, although you consider yourself to be some
kind of expert in this field, you are not properly trained, having learnt
what you do know by whatever method you have for self teaching. I don't
care if you took a postal degree in it, and became Dr Fixit, unless you
have had proper practical training in the subject, and most importantly,
its safety angles, by someone properly qualified himself, I don't
consider you to be sufficiently trained or skilled in the subject, to
offer advice about potentially dangerous work to the electronically
naiive. You are completely at odds with those of us on here who are
qualified, when you claim to be able to do so.

Well, I have 30 years experience in various aspects of electronics. I have
worked in the design, repair, construction and modification of electronic
circuits. However, in those 30 years I have not received any formal
training of any significance, yet have been called upon to train others.

In your post you have IMHO managed to disrespect possibly half the group
or more, many of them knowledgeable amateurs/hobbyists or 'unqualified'
but talented pros who have no formal training- well done.

It's ironic that my opinion on this thread echos your own sentiments
exactly, yet you can be so sneering and condescending to people like me
who don't hold the same precious piece of paper as you do. I have always
respected and generally agreed with your opinions on this group, so I am
rather disappointed with your post.

Sorry, Arfa, but that's just how I feel. Did you really mean what you said
or was it posted in haste as a kneejerk response to a post you perhaps
found provocative? I sincerely hope it's the latter.

Dave

Hi Dave

I am sorry that my response to Mr Electromotive Guru, has caused you
offence. It certainly wasn't intended to. To answer your basic question ;
no, it was not a kneejerk reaction. It was a considered response to what I
felt to be an immature and unwarranted pop at me personally. As I am really
sure that you of all people know, I am not given to kneejerk responses. For
sure, occasionally I get annoyed with the odd knob-head on here, and I might
well post a sarcastic response, but it's quite clear that I am doing that. I
choose my words carefully, and generally, I mean what I say, although I will
accept that sometimes, such things as cultural differences, may skew the
meaning to some readers. I speak american fairly well, as I go there quite a
lot, and I am aware that in many areas of america, very literal meanings are
taken from statements, that may have been intended as being rather more
oblique, so I try to avoid colloquial stuff, for that reason.

So, let's try to be a bit more clear on what I'm saying, for everyone's
benefit. I think a lot of the problem here is semantics. When I'm saying "
qualified ", some - including yourself - are taking it that I mean having a
piece of paper to say that you can do the job. Although in general, with
dangerous jobs, I do consider this to be the case, it has to be tempered
with common sense. If, like you, a person has been in the job, and making a
proper living from it, for 30 years, then a degree of ' qualification ' must
be accepted. I would be willing to bet that somewhere in the dim distant
past, someone taught you at least the basics of personal safety when working
with electricity, and how to carry out a repair in a way that was safe to
the public.

I actually know many engineers that have no paper, but learnt their trade
many years ago by a combination of mentoring and book reading and doing the
work. I would not consider them to be unqualified any more than you, and
would trust them to give out good safe advice. On the other hand, I also
know many ' gifted amateurs ' who sell insurance or build boats or whatever
during the day, and could hold a converstion with you about electronics, and
sound very knowledgeable. However, I would not consider them to be qualified
to be giving out good safe information on dangerous items such as switch
mode power supplies.

I think that for the most part, the people who post questions on here, and
the lurkers, would accept this, and I would be surprised if they would
consider that I had disrespected them, as you say. I do not consider that
anything I said was "condescending" or "sneering", and by the same token
that you say that you have previously respected and agreed with what I have
said, and are now ' rather disappointed ', I feel that I have to echo that
feeling back at you, as I think that your choice of words is ill considered,
and I do feel personally affronted by them

Just as a matter of interest, based on posts that you have previously made,
if someone asked me to put a name to the 20 or so posters on here that I
considered 'qualified' to give valid and safe information, your name would
have been right up there with them ...

As I'm sure that you realise, if you stop and think about it, I have never
been one to try to cause offence to anyone on here. I have contributed to
this, and other groups, under various nics, for many years. Like you, and
others on here, I have very many years experience in various aspects of
electronic service work, and I honestly believe that it is my duty to try to
help others to benefit from that experience, and become better, safer
engineers - both amateur when appropriate repairs are being attempted, and
fellow professionals when they're in trouble - and to that end, I willingly
and freely give my time to the group, as I'm sure, do you. However, I will
not lie down and take personal attacks from people like Mr Electromotive
Guru who, no matter what he might say to the contrary, does not *appear*
'qualified' to give out safe information. I base this belief on statements
that he has made in his posts, that have also been picked up by others, that
no person operating within the electronics business, with either paper or
life qualification, would actually make.

These are just my personal beliefs, and I stand by them. I do not expect
you, or anyone else, to accept them unquestioningly, as any kind of ' guru
pronouncement ', but neither do I expect them to just be dismissed out of
hand.

I have no desire to fall out with anyone on here, and if I have caused
offence to anyone, then I am sincerely sorry. However, if anyone insists on
being offended, then sobeit. I hope this clears up any misunderstandings,
and makes my position perfectly clear for the future. ;~}

Arfa