Posted to rec.woodworking
brian c

Default Motorized Drill Press Table Lift

home machinist volume 18 number3 page 24 shows a drill press with a satelite
positioner or linear actuator used to raise a delta drill press table, looks
very easy to do
Brian

"kcleere" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings,

I'm interested to see if anyone has come up with a retrofit that will
motorize the the rack and pinion crack on a drill press. My specific
drill press is the Delta DP-350 which is a benchtop. It has the R&P
and I know some floor models do as well.

I'm interested in this as I have low hand and upper body strength and I
try and motorize and automate everything I can. I've not figured out
how to do this yet although I do have an idea.

My idea would be to use a DC geared reversible motor mounted either on
the head of the drill press or to the base that had a heavy duty
flexible drive shaft with appropriate couplings from the motor shaft to
the keyed shaft that the R&P handle fits on. That, and a switch
mounted up on the head.

Seems simple in my head but I don't know what sort of motor and DC
control to look for (it would need to be high torque VERY low RPM). And
I'm don't know where to look for the coupling shaft.

I'd appreciate any ideas you have on this. Please post or email
" if so,