Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

Default The Woodworkers Ten Commandments

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 23:25:20 GMT, "Mekon"
wrote:

1. Thou shalt not paint

I just broke this one. Yesterday I finished a wooden plant dolly I
made and painted it with wood primer, then high-gloss white enamel. I
have not ever painted cherry wood, ever, as this is a mortal sin.

2. Thou shalt do all thy can to ensure that thou leavethe the shop with the
same number of body parts in roughly the same place as you entered it.

This is a good one. I hope everyone keeps safety in mind, always!

3. Thou shalt extract dust as it is an abomination to thy lungs.

True. Protect your health. A healthy body means many more years of
making sawdust.

4. Thou shalt remove ties and loose clothing before operating machinery

I like short sleeves, and prefer crew cuts.

5. Thou shalt sharpen thy tools and treat them with respect, for they are
wondrous in our eyes

I need to learn to like sharpening more so I do more of it.

6. Thou shalt measure twice and make assunder once for a cut once made is
impossible to unmake and wood that is too short is an abomination.

I learned this one the hard way. I'm sure most woodworkers do.

7. Thou shall unplug thy tools before changing any parts lest thy parts
become changed.

I abandoned the idea of hard-wiring anything. Plugs area good thing.

8. Thou shalt use the right tool for the right job for that is the purpose
for which they are ordained.

A good excuse to buy another tool!

9. Thou shalt oil thy table saw tops and other bare steel tools as rust is
an abomination in the shop

I don't have this problem. I feel very fortunate to have an
air-conditioned shop. At one time I considered an old chicken coop
for a wood shop.

10. Thou shalt avoid borrowing tools but return promptly and in good repair
all those which thou has borrowed.

"Always a friend. Never borrow, never lend."

Mekon